samolahajnar
55 постов
#1 26 августа 2013 в 17:32
Hi guys<br /><br />After merely 100 animation attempts, I’m back. Saying 100 is not an exaggeration, I have tried every pose and move possible. <br />But after a “few” thoughts, I came to a conclusion that less is better, at least here. <br />I spent some time on analyzing the previews animation which was more complicated to make than the new one, <br />but I think that after a while it became annoying and repetitive to see the exact same move in rotation on and on ( swimming, strafing, running, etc.). <br />So, I decided to eliminate even the lowering hand from the original animation ( which I really hate ) and stick with the basic moves here. <br /><br /><br /><br />About the quality of the hand model I have to say, that even this time I didn’t achieve what I was planning for. <br />Sure the hands are now looking way better without vertex stretching and skin deformation etc. <br />But for making them even better I have to learn Z brush and some human anatomy, which I’m planning to do this October.<br /><br />So please download and try the new model and post some comments of course…<br /><br />http://www.freefilehosting.net/quake2machinegun9813<br /><br />Cheers!<br /><br />---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />HI guys I&#039;m back,<br /><br />If somebody missed me I&#039;m really sorry, but my life in this harsh economic time is not easy, but I&#039;m still going forward.<br />I spent an incredible amount of time on studying normal mapping, ambient occlusion baking and of course making textures.<br /><br />So to be brief, I decided to remake my machine gun from scratch using only the high poly model.<br />My goal is to get close as possible to the professional artist of today gaming industry. I don&#039;t know if I achieved that this time around,<br />but I sure came closer as I was before with my previews work.<br /><br />And here it is my new Quake 2 Machine gun 2.0 in all its glory (sorry for my modesty&nbsp; ;D)<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Exactly as you see it here it looks in the game, just I had to combine the glossy and the specular maps together.<br />The next thing I&#039;m starting to do are the hands which I&#039;m hoping, this time will look as I&#039;m wonting too and not so cartoonish,<br />as the last time, with lots of vertex stretching problems. I have also a question for you guys out there, who has tried the first machine gun.<br />What do you think about the animation, is it to exaggerated, did you like it? Please make some good points before I&#039;m starting with the animation part for the new gun.<br /><br />Oh and I have a special request for you Berserker. Some time ago I stumbled upon a game trailer of borderlands 2<br />and sow how the guns have sights with reflection from the looking direction. Please Berserker can you take the time to think about<br />how to implementing something similar here… I&#039;m sure you can do it, I am not a programmer so I don&#039;t have any idea,<br />I&#039;m just thinking as if the&nbsp; water and glass can have reflection maybe you can make it happen for the sights glass with<br />what is happening before the player in a low resolution of course. Cross the fingers…<br /><br />Cheers!
Eugeny
199 постов
#2 27 августа 2013 в 15:06
Its beautiful!<br /><br />You can do for RtCW weapon model?
samolahajnar
55 постов
#3 27 августа 2013 в 16:27
Hi Eugeny,<br /><br />Thank you for your compliments.<br /><br />I also love the RTCW game very much, but I have to disappoint you at this time. I’m shore that this model is already compatible with RTCW,<br />the problem is that I would have to do the animation which is not so easy as it seems. Also don’t know if RTCW engine supports normal mapping etc…<br /><br />At the end I rather concentrate on remaking Quake 2 models. Don’t know if I’m wright, but I think that I have read somewhere on this forum,<br />that berserker is working on a port of RTCW. Maybe when he finishes it, I will have some time to do some weapons for it.<br /><br />Cheers!<br />
Alien_911
26 постов
#4 28 августа 2013 в 06:08
Hey Samo, nice job! Not really a Quake-style weapon (IMHO) but still looks very good. Now, before you wonder off to making more good models (and in the true spirit of this forum) I think a lot of us would like to see a tutorial on how to make, skin, bake, animate,&nbsp; and import one&#039;s custom model into Berserker.&nbsp; That way you would be contributing to the project just as well. <br /><br />PS. And by the way, it is &quot;sure&quot; not &quot;shore&quot;. As in &quot; I am not sure...&quot;&nbsp; Cheers, mate!
iCore7 2600K@4.3Ghz, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3,&nbsp; 8Gb G.Skill, 2X Seagate 1Tb (Raid 0), 128Gb Samsung 830 SSD, 2X eVGA GeForce 8800GT SLI, Antec 750W Silver.
samolahajnar
55 постов
#5 28 августа 2013 в 09:13
Hello Alien_911<br /><br />I was just thinking about you and here you come posting on this thread. If you remember sometime back you offered some kind of collaboration, with you providing concept art and me modeling it. I would love to get assistance from a concept artist to really nail down Quake 2 lore.<br /><br />This call for help is meant also for you V_2540 and the rest of you concept artist out there who wants to collaborate on this remodeling attempt. But let me state a few facts here first:<br />- this is not a competition but a collaboration, so we are all grownups here and don’t get offended if maybe someone doesn’t like the others arts etc…<br />- arts must have in it a true ID’s filling and Quake 2 lore collocation<br />- people has different tastes and opinions, anybody can say what he thinks in a moderate and constructive manner, so we can decide which concept will be implemented<br />- and last, I take the possibility to decide which model “wins”, as I would have to live with it for a whole month with modeling it, texturing, animating etc…<br /><br />And back to you Alien_911, about the tutorial on Quake 2 modding, I don’t know if I’m the right guy to make it, but it’s doable, but I have to think on how to do it! But if you are interested and would like to ask something about modeling, baking, texturing tutorials I’m always at your service.<br /><br />Cheers!<br />
Alien_911
26 постов
#6 28 августа 2013 в 15:28
Well, writing the tutorial is not such a bad thing. All you have to do is list the steps in sequential order providing the images alongside. Do not worry about criticism and competition - everyone here is pretty much down to the ground. So, if you need an idea to start a tutorial, lets do this: we post concept art for, let&#039;s say a knife. This could be a good addition to the blaster: Mouse1 - Fire Blaster, Mouse2 - Knife someone with 75% damage. Here is a good source for cool looking knives: <br />http://www.realworldweapon.com/page/2<br /><br />I like this one<br /><br /><br />Now, regarding the concept art: you need to be more specific about the weapons: re-design old Q2 weapons, new futuristic weapons, or real-life weapons. I, personally, do not do any real-life: there are tons of them in COD, Counter Strike, etc. But there are other guys here that might be interested. Anyway, looking forward to see the tutorial.
iCore7 2600K@4.3Ghz, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3,&nbsp; 8Gb G.Skill, 2X Seagate 1Tb (Raid 0), 128Gb Samsung 830 SSD, 2X eVGA GeForce 8800GT SLI, Antec 750W Silver.
V_2540
492 постов
#7 28 августа 2013 в 15:40
Если уж и брать ХО для боя(даже в фантастике),то наверно что-нибудь в духе ка-бара http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/12 или же http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/14<br />но урон ни как не 75%,а 100 или даже 200%,но при подкрадывании со спины ;).А этот нож слабоват,имхо.Мелкий он,как перочинный м\б и сгодится.
CPU-i7 12700,RAM-32 Gb DDR5,Video-RTX 4090
Alien_911
26 постов
#8 28 августа 2013 в 20:34
Мелкий - это растяжимое понятие. Пропорции можно увеличить. Учитывая что СТРОГГ в 23-м веке, я надеюсь что к тому времени перестанут использовать режущие инструменты времён войны во Вьетнаме.&nbsp; Но это всё мелочи - дай Бог чтоб учебник выставил. <br /><br />Насчёт ножа вот что предлагаю: <br />1. Две рука (а ля Call of Duty): в одной новый бластер, во второй нож.&nbsp; Удар ножом типа Gauntlet в Q3A<br />1.1 Доп фича: при выбранном ноже (Mouse2) нажать Mouse1 чтоб метнуть... Ну так, чтоб обновить наконец немного наш старый добрый (и по мнению многих до сих пор лучший) из Кваков.<br /><br />П.С. У меня ещё вагон идей насчёт оружия, плюс по игре, но... не программер я, не умею<br />______________________________________________________________________________<br /><br />For poor souls that don&#039;t speak the best language in the world:<br />V-2540 proposed to use a more brutal, warrior-like type of melee weapon (see links).&nbsp; I suggested that hopefully in the future we will use a more sophisticated type of a cutting tool. That&#039;s just details - any design is good for the tutorial.<br />1. Two arms (a la Code of Duty): one holds blaster, another knife.&nbsp; Knife causes damage like Gauntlet in Q3A<br />1.1 Additional modification: when knife is selected (Mouse2 pressed down) hit Mouse1 to throw the knife ... Just to rejuvenate things a bit in our good old (and arguably the best ) of Quake series.<br />Suggested knife weapon behavior:<br /><br />
samolahajnar
55 постов
#9 29 августа 2013 в 09:35
And I’m back,<br /><br />I know it will be long post, but please take the time and read it thru as I will try to clarify some things that were misunderstood here.<br /><br />The most important thing is that I’m not a programmer and don’t know nothing about 3d engine functioning etc. <br />I’m specifying this because it’s important to our cause here, since ID hard coded the animation, we have to stick with this when we are planning on weapon modeling.<br /><br />So to clarify it, you have to know that the entire animation consist in about an average of 50 sec. that are subdivided in example relaxing, firing, changing weapon etc… <br />As I don’t have any written information on how ID have done it, I have to carefully watch the original animation and then find the exact timing, when things happens in the engine to change behavior. <br />It’s a trial and error and a time consuming thing.<br /><br />So, making a knife that we can use with the mouse 2 button is for me at this time impossible. Maybe Berserker can clarify some things here about how things go in the 3d engine <br />( Oh Berserker if you are around here stop&nbsp; by for a minute, as I’m becoming worried for you not seeing you here, hope that you are on some nice vacation or something).<br /><br />So to go on, when you let your artistic skills out you’ll have to focus on existing weapons and their&nbsp; behavior, as firing type and rate. Hope you don’t feel yourself to limited by these facts.<br /><br />Now Alien_911, regarding the concept art for weapons you’ve made a good point here. The design of the machine gun I’m making now has nothing to do with the one that <br />we have to achieve for re-designing Quake 2 weapons. This machine gun is just a part of my learning curve and is not meant to be representing the future style of our Quake 2 weapons here.<br /><br />From my point of view I can say that I would like:<br />- weapons must have the id’s feeling, think about it as John Romero was working on them today, but please don’t get artistically limited by this point<br />- I myself envisioned them as modern sci-fi but, I don’t know how to explain me correctly, “industrial” looking kind of weapons, but please say your opinion on this as we can discuss about it and come to a conclusion altogether<br />- as a reference of my taste, here I can say that I really didn’t like the style of weapons in Quake 4, as they looked to clean and I don’t know, to “perfect” without personality. I really much like the weapons style in Rage which has nothing in common<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; with Quake 2, but they have that feeling of “usability” and weariness. If you played through the Rage dlc you get the nail gun, which in my opinion it most nicely resemblances the art style of Quake 2 weapons we have to achieve here<br /><br />And finally about the tutorial, I slept over the idea and decided to try to do it as a little working diary. I will start it as soon as we decide the art style and the concept art for the first weapon which I’ll be making. <br />So concept artist now is your turn, make your vision come true…<br /><br />In the meantime I’m working on the hands model and bones which I’ll use for all the weapons animation!<br /><br />Cheers!
Alien_911
26 постов
#10 29 августа 2013 в 14:56
Yeah,&nbsp; we do understand that M16 was not a final product for Q2, so we judge it only as a 3D model - looks very solid and usable.&nbsp; I am sorry for confusing you: the functionality of the &quot;knife&quot; - Mouse1, Mouse2 behavior is not your responsibility.&nbsp; Since you have shown knowledge of 3D modeling that is all I was asking for. The wishful thoughts of how the weapon would behave is listed here for the rest of the board members so that they can provide their input on the matter. Suppose we want to design a sniper attachment to rail gun and programmers tell us there is no way to add mouse2 function - that can save us a lot wasted time. So, let me throuw some things together (I do own a company and have 3 kids:), so bear with me)&nbsp; and sketch some concept art. I agree that I like Q2 feel of the weapons over Q3-4 because they seem to fit the theme a lot better than arcade-style Q3 or too-shiny Q4. But that can be fixed by texturing.